Monday, February 16, 2009

Why "Mesilla"...?


For those of you who do not live in the Southwest or spent any time in New Mexico (or aren't up on your Cowboy history), I wanted to explain why the name "Mesilla Marksman". I do not claim to be an expert on history, but as my interest in the Southwest and New Mexico grew over the last 6 years, I discovered that the town of Mesilla New Mexico has a lot of history. From Billy the Kid being sentenced to be hung in 1881 at the local courthouse, to the nearby Fort Selden, where Douglas MacArthur spent some formative years as a young boy, there is a lot of history in this area. While I was a Sales representative for my company I used to drive all over the "Land of Enchantment" and this was one area I always enjoyed. The people were always nice and friendly, and the food was great! (If you are in the area you MUST eat at La Posta restaurant! I would recommend the sour cream green chili encheladas!) So when it came time to create an "alias" for SASS/CAS, I decided on this name to pay homage to a place with a rich cowboy history, and since my name is Mark and a "marksman" is a good shot, it all kind of fit! So, now you know a little bit more about why I chose the name that I did and you might have learned a little history! Talk soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment